Enable Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

If you’re one of the lucky people who purchased a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium on it, you might be surprised to know that it doesn’t support remote desktop connections out of the box. Microsoft wants you to upgrade your edition of Windows in order to get this feature. Luckily, there’s a little hack we can use to get it working on Home Premium. Here’s the steps to get it working:

1. Download this zip file and extract it to a location on your PC.
  2. Navigate to the folder you just extracted and right click Install.cmd, then choose Run as administrator.
  3. You’ll get a window similar to the one below and you should now be good to go:

You can also enable multiple sessions per user, and the logging in of users with a blank password (although I wouldn’t recommend this). There are some switches that are available when running the program:

• -? – Show this help
  • help – Same as -?
  • multi – Enable multiple sessions per user
  • blank – Enable remote log on for user accounts that are not password protected

So for example, if you wanted to enable multiple sessions per user:

1. Go to start and find Command Prompt. Right click it and select Run as administrator.
  2. At the prompt type cd “c:\DIRECTORY\TO\EXTRACTED\FILES”
  3. The prompt should switch to c:\DIRECTORY\TO\EXTRACTED\FILES >
  4. Type: Install multi

Thanks to the guys over at Missing Remote for this hack.

Clipboard Sharing

When I installed this hack, one thing I noticed was that the clipboard sharing wasn’t working when I first connected. What I had to do to remedy it was open up the task manager on the remote machine, end the ‘rdpclip.exe’ process and restart it – either through Start > Run… or in the task manager by going to File > New Task (Run…).

You could automate this process by creating a simple batch script if you’d like, similar to the one below:

Copy and paste the above into notepad and save it as killrdpclip.bat (or whatever you’d like). Then all you need to do is double click the batch file and you should be good to go.

Update

I have made the switch to Windows 7 Ultimate and no longer use Home Premium. I am leaving this guide for reference but I will no longer be answering comments on it. Your best bet is to ask questions over at Missing Remote.

74 Responses

1. Nitin Agarwal says:

Wonderful !
    It works :-)

2. Van Nguyen says:

Tried other tutorials but they couldn’t help.

Luckily found this and It works. Perfect :D

Thanks

3. Yann David says:

I’m unable to use local printer and drives is there a way to do so?

4. JM Warenda says:

There are some files missing from Win 7 Home Premium required for features such as clipboard sharing. rdpclip.exe is supposed to run on the remote system when you log in, but if you check, there is no rdpclip.exe in the System32 directory in Win 7 Home Premium. I run Ultimate on my primary system, so I simply copied all rdp*.* files not present on the Home Premium system over, and restarted my connection. That’s all it took. Now it loads rdpclip.exe on login and my clipboard is shared. I haven’t tested local print support yet.

• Jordan Hopfner says:

Interesting tip, thanks JM! I just upgraded to Ultimate 2 days ago so I no longer need this hack but it would be interesting to know if all the files copied over enables the drive and print sharing as well.

5. Jim Phelps says:

Thanks for this! It worked – that’s all I can say. Shame on Microsoft for skipping a useful feature.

• Jordan Hopfner says:

You’re welcome sir! Micro$oft wants you to upgrade your OS to professional or ultimate to get these features!

6. l4stewar says:

Seems a little sketchy to run some random .exe’s/.dll’s like this. Are these files just copied from Ultimate? Will this work all the same if I use my own dlls copied from an ultimate or server install?

• l4stewar says:

And thanks btw :) Lack of rdp server on home premium has been infuriating and I’m glad you had the ingenuity to try this out.

7. kevin says:

works to the point where i have to provide user credentials using the correct user but it wont accept my password. Any ideas?

• Jordan Hopfner says:

There are only 2 things I can think of that might be causing that. One is you must have a password set, and the other is if you go into your System Properties and click Remote Settings, you can try clicking the radio button that says ‘Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)’. Do so at your own risk though!

• peterhenley says:

are you saying it wil not work at all unless you copy the files over from Ultimate? Does not work for me, just running the cmd ….

• Jordan Hopfner says:

You don’t need to copy any files from Ultimate to get RDP working, everything needed is in the article.

• peterhenley says:

oops – spoke to soon – working thanks! the remote desktop info does not show up in Remote tab of control panel advanced system settings though…..

8. koos says:

perfect, thanks very much for this. It is working fine.

9. Marc Matz says:

This is great! In the past, my workaround for the lack of Remote Desktop was to install TightVNC. This is fine for me, but adds yet another program to an install. Not only this, but it’s another port to leave open for maintenance. Bravo!

10. gegregre says:

doesn’t work I go to the remote settings and it still says the same thing, before I installed this.

11. Antonio says:

wow this really works, thx a lot dude! I always liked Moneysoft a lot but this is kinda too far from them…

12. Shoyemans says:

Remote desktop is working but printers are not being redirected.

13. byronhero says:

Fantastic thanks!
    Controlling my pc via android tablet now using 2X Client.

14. Ben says:

Thanks for your help….

15. Josh says:

Thanks, it worked really well!!!

16. jabroni says:

I ran this and I got “Error: Unknown Checsksum… Exiting” “Service is not listening” on port 3389
    any suggestions on how to fix this?

• Jordan Hopfner says:

Hmmm, I wonder if maybe you have different DLL’s than the ones it’s trying to patch. Are you on SP1?

17. gobbim says:

Great, great ! It is working, really good script ! Thank you. I have to connect from my netbook to my computer with Windows 7 Home and now I can forget about LogmeIn or TeamViewer and packages do not leave my LAN.
    Thank you once again !

18. Mike says:

How do i turn it off? What if I want to stop remote access?

• Jordan Hopfner says:

You need to restore the original home premium files. The script should’ve created backup files in your system32 folder.

19. Alexandro says:

This works only in win7 build 7601, not genuine copy of win 7!

20. Charlotte says:

I have an older hp computer which has Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I just bought a new computer which comes with Windows 7 home. I want to be able to connect these two together as there are a lot of programs and documents that \i have on my older computer that I don’t really want to put on my new one. I am putting all of my video and photo prgrams on my new one. What I want is for the new computer to be the main computer and for me to be able to access the older one. Can you do this or would I have to download the “fix” so that my new computer is the one that taps into my old one?

21. Ben says:

What about sound? Apparently “there is a problem with my sound card”. How can I enable that, since for my purposes the sound is required.

22. Funny Pugs says:

You’re the man. Worked great. Unbelievable. Microsoft sucks.

23. Stephen says:

Trying to remote in from Linux Mint Maya using Remmina. Asks if I accept finger print then fails. Do I need to add a remote desktop user or will an admin account work. Any ideas about the failure?

• Stephen says:

Well, I changed the entry in the domain field to the computer name, and now it brings up the RDP UI, but all I see is the default Maya desktop background.

24. John says:

Doesn’t work for me. When I try to RDP from my XP machine, the login screen comes up. But when I log in, the RDP session crashes on the XP machine and the login screen comes up on the Windows 7 machine. BUT .. I cannot log back into the Windows 7 machine. When I try, a screen flashes that seems to have a command box open and then the login screen comes back up. I have to restart the machine to get back in. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium – SP1, 64 Bit.

25. joao says:

It worked for me ! Thanks

26. ahspear says:

Hope it works for me.. using Windows 7 HP 64bit here.

Thanks.

27. Randy Barker says:

Thanks a lot. For anyone who wonders,this does work for Home Premium 64bit.

28. Raz says:

Worked for me, however I don’t have any sound. I’ve ensured that “play on this computer” is selected before I connect to the remote host.

Any suggestions?

29. Ivelina says:

Thanks! :)))))))

30. Andrew says:

Does this enable connection from a 3g smartphone not using wi-fi?

• Jordan Hopfner says:

It will allow any program to connect using the RDP protocol, doesn’t matter your connection type.

31. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much! This works perfectly :)

32. R Gelinas says:

Mine has worked since installed but now Windows update is offering an optional Windows RDP 8.0 update for the new Win 8 Remote Desktop client. Will this update break my hacked Win 7 Home Premium Remote Desktop Server?

• Mike Rothaus says:

Mine stopped working recently too. It must be a recent update. I tried re-running the install.cmd, but it didn’t help.

33. Ron says:

Works perfectly.

34. Ron Ron says:

works perfectly

35. Steve says:

The zip file is missing from the Media Fire server. What has happened to it? Where else can I find it?

Thanks

36. ScottBouch says:

Hi,

I have 2x (Genuine) Windows 7 Home Premium machines, one is tucked away in a difficult location and is used as my Media Center, so I need to Remote Desktop to it to perform updates, correct the usual aggravating Windows issues, etc…

I have installed the hack on both machines, and have found it only works one-way, unfortunately for me, the wrong way.

I can access my main W7HP machine from the W7HP Media Center, but I can’t access the Media Center from my main machine.

When I ran Install.cmd (as administrator) it worked great on my main machine, but on the Media Centre I am told that I have an incorrect W7 build (apparently it’s only for build 7601). I don’t know how to find out what build it is that I have installed.

Can I upgrade my build somehow to the correct one for the hack?

Cheers, Scott.

• Jordan Hopfner says:

Hmmm, that’s weird. I’m not sure what to recommend in this case! What build are you running?

37. Dara says:

Hi there,

First thank you SO MUCH for this. I ran the hack and it seemed to work. I verified that my machine is listening on port 3389 with netstat. I also checked that the Remote Desktop service is running and did a reboot just to make sure. Windows Firewall is checked to allow RDP through.

I’m trying to connect to my home machine with my iPad using an app made for this purpose. (Worked over VNC once upon a time…)

The issue is when I go to Remote Settings in my System Properties the entire section for Remote Desktop is missing. So I can’t select any of the options to allow connections.

Is there something else I should try to make this show up?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Dara S.

• Jordan Hopfner says:

Dara, the tab won’t show up… This hack only allows remote desktop connections, it doesn’t change any GUI’s.

38. Manos says:

Thanks! It works like a charm!

39. Dan says:

This workaround does not work for my Win 7 Home Premium.

As witnessed by ScottBouch above, the install suggests that the hack is specific to Windows 7 Build 7601.

I have build 7600.( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion.)

Do we have any information regarding this situation and-or an alternative workaround?

Much thanks

40. Mrst says:

Seems to have worked for me, Build 7601 however cmd “install” is not a valid cmd to enable multiple sessions. Am I missing something?

41. Seb says:

Thanks! Works perfect on Win 7 Home Premium x64 sp1!

42. Scott says:

The process completes successfully, however, when attempting to remote login, it shows a process dialog then disappears with no RDC window open.

Win 7 HP SP1 x64

• Scott says:

Update: got it to work, however, no sound control. As with the clipboard feature discussed above, are there specific sound-related files missing in HP that would be available in Ultimate to control sound in a RDC?

43. Scott V says:

I got the script installed ok, but I don’t have options to make this computer a host.

either that, or I’m missing something else.  am I to install the 64_rdpclip.exe file also?

44. Scott V says:

how does one determine what the name of the computer is to log in?

IP Address?  This computer is on a network part of a workgroup.

thanks….

45. Jonny says:

No wonder people rip off Windows software – I have a Mac too and out of the box features way exceed those of Windows.  Somehow Microsoft seem to make things way more difficult. Apple have a slicker policy of non-greed (from my experience) but that in turn reaps them more revenue.  I’m looking forward to trying this later – I was hitting my head thinking it was a firewall issue… now I know the truth… Microsoft are showing off their usual stupidity!  :)

46. stenige says:

Thank you very much, works perfect on Win 7 Home Premium x64 sp1!

47. G@s says:

I am looking for something similar for Windows 8, any one?

48. RKD says:

How do you turn multi on and off? I’d like to be able to log onto PC 1 as user A, and then RDC in from PC 2 as user B without logging off user A, which this patch enables. But I’d also like to RDC in from PC 2 as user A and take over the original user A login. As it is now, I get a second user A login. In the case of my media center I want to take over the user currently playing videos as well as administer it without disturbing the user currently playing videos. Can I get what I want?

1. May 21, 2012

2. January 19, 2013

3. April 19, 2013

4. April 22, 2013

5. October 20, 2013

6. March 12, 2014

Loading Facebook Comments ...